Alberto Ulloa

Dominican painter born in Altamira, Puerto Plata, the Dominican Republic, January 1st. 1950. Helped by the marriage Alvarez-Saviñon he studied painting at the National School of Fine Arts (1970) and graduated in 1974. He was a pupil of Jaime Colson. Domingo Liz together with Cuevas, Montilla, and Kuma formed a pictorial group. That same year he won distinctions and first prizes for its artistic quality. In 1975, the Secretary of State for Education of the Dominican Republic awarded him the scholarship “Abelardo Rodriguez Urdaneta” to study art at the school of San Fernando in Spain. In 1977, he obtained the title of Professor of Fine Arts at that same school.

He then began studying mural painting and art history at the Academy. He has made a number of solo exhibitions and has obtained many awards, distinctions and recognitions, both in his country and abroad. In 1975, he conquers the second prize for painting at the College Hispano-American, Madrid. In 1978, the award Adaja, Avila, Spain. In 1979, first prize in painting at the 14th. Biennial of Plastic Arts in Santo Domingo. He died the 1st. of October of the year 2011. He is considered one of the great painters of the Dominican Republic. Painter, sculptor and writer.


Pintor dominicano nacido en Altamira, Puerto Plata, República Dominicana el 1 de enero de 1950. Ayudado por el matrimonio Alvarez-Saviñón estudió pintura en la Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes (1970) y se graduó en 1974. Fue alumno de Jaime Colson. Domingo Liz junto con Cuevas, Montilla, y Kuma formaron un grupo pictórico. Ese mismo año ganó distinciones y primeros premios por su calidad artística. En 1975, el Secretario de Estado de Educación de la República Dominicana le otorgó la beca "Abelardo Rodríguez Urdaneta" para estudiar arte en la Escuela de San Fernando en España. En 1977, obtuvo el título de profesor de Bellas Artes en esa misma escuela.

A continuación, comenzó a estudiar pintura mural e historia del arte en la Academia. Él ha hecho una serie de exposiciones individuales y ha obtenido numerosos premios, distinciones y reconocimientos, tanto en su país como en el extranjero. En 1975, conquista el segundo premio de pintura en el Colegio Hispano-Americana, de Madrid. En 1978, el premio Adaja, Ávila, España. En 1979, el primer premio de pintura en la 14ª. Bienal de Artes Plásticas de Santo Domingo. Murió el primero. de octubre del año 2011. Es considerado uno de los grandes pintores de la República Dominicana. Pintor, escultor y escritor.

11 images

Centenario

National School of Fine Arts. Before the founding of the Palace of Fine Arts on May 15, 1956, official cultural activities were held in the "Union Club" located on the Calle El Conde Esq. Hostos, as well as the "Office of Fine Arts" also located on Calle El Conde, between Calle Espaillat and Palo Hincado, less than one block from the Altar of the Fatherland.

It was here that the first biennials and major art events such as major exhibitions of leading European figures arrivals to our country after World War II took place. The National School of Fine Arts was inaugurated on August 19, 1942, when he was based in Street Arzobispo Nouel # 43, months later he was transferred to the Mercedes Street, next to the Plaza of the Church of Mercy. After several transfers (Las Damas, Palace of Fine Arts and the Palace of Borgella) is from 1989, Calle El Conde Esq. Isabel the Catholic.

Its directors are: its founder Manolo Pascual, José Vela Zanetti, José Gausachs, Yoryi Morel, Celeste Woss y Gil, Gilberto Hernandez Ortega, Joaquín Priego, Guillo Pérez, Joaquín Mordán Ciprian, Ana Luisa Garcia (Interim) Marianela Jimenez Reyes and Rosa Tavarez (current director). Drawing, painting, applied arts, sculpture, still life and taught robes. His first teachers were Celeste Woss y Gil, José Gausachs and George Hausdorf.

A policy implemented by the management of the school and its faculty, was to encourage the students to do work with the highest artistic quality to develop their creative abilities and provide society with the opportunity to appreciate the fruits of generation drinking at the inexhaustible source of knowledge and the most refined techniques of those who were their mentors and guides. That is why in the first exhibition of students promoted which opens on July 10, 1943, forty-eight authors with two thousand five hundred works made during the school year participated.

In 1944, the teaching staff is reinforced with the entry of Dr. Mairení Cabral, who impart the subject of Artistic Anatomy and Ing. Friendly Frómeta Professor of Perspective, shortly after being replaced by Ing. Pou Ricart. In 1945 Dr. Oak Toledano father was appointed Professor of Art History. In the same year pupils Luz Maria Castillo, Aida Roques, Jose Luis Alvarez Delmonte, Rafael Pina Melero, Gilberto Fernandez and Luis Martinez Diez Richiez as drawing teachers graduated.


Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes. Antes de la fundación del Palacio de Bellas Artes el 15 de mayo de 1956, las actividades culturales oficiales se celebraban en el “Club Unión” sito en la Calle El Conde Esq. Hostos, así como en las “Salas de Bellas Artes” situadas también en la Calle El Conde, entre la Calle Espaillat y la Palo Hincado, a menos de una cuadra del Altar de la Patria. Fue aquí en donde se celebraron las primeras bienales y grandes eventos artísticos, como las importantes exposiciones de destacadas figuras europeas llegadas a nuestro país a raíz de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

La Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes se inauguró el 19 de agosto de 1942, cuando tenía su sede en la Calle Arzobispo Nouel #43, meses después fue trasladada a la Calle Mercedes, al lado de la Plazoleta de la iglesia de las Mercedes. Luego de varios traslados (Las Damas, Palacio de Bellas Artes y el Palacio de Borgella) está desde 1989, en la Calle El Conde Esq. Isabel La Católica.

Sus directores han sido: su fundador Manolo Pascual, José Vela Zanetti, José Gausachs, Yoryi Morel, Celeste Woss y Gil, Gilberto Hernández Ortega, Joaquín Priego, Guillo Pérez, Joaquín Mordán Ciprian, Ana Luisa García (Interina) Marianela Jiménez Reyes y Rosa Tavárez (Actual directora). Se enseñaba dibujo, pintura, artes aplicadas, escultura, bodegones y ropajes. Sus primeros profesores fueron Celeste Woss y Gil, José Gausachs y George Hausdorf.

Una política implantada por la dirección de la escuela y su cuerpo docente, fue la de estimular al estudiantado a realizar trabajos con la más elevada calidad artística a fin de desarrollar su capacidad creadora y brindar a la sociedad la oportunidad de apreciar los frutos de la generación que bebía en la inagotable fuente del conocimiento y las más refinadas técnicas de quienes eran sus mentores y guías. Es por ello que en la primera exposición de alumnos promovidos que se inaugura el 10 de julio de 1943, participaron cuarenta y ocho autores con unas dos mil quinientas obras efectuadas durante el año escolar.

En 1944, el cuerpo profesoral es reforzado con el ingreso del Dr. Mairení Cabral, quien impartiría la materia de Anatomía Artística, y el Ing. Amable Frómeta como profesor de Perspectiva, siendo poco tiempo después sustituido por el Ing. Pou Ricart.

En 1945 el padre Dr. Roble Toledano fue nombrado profesor de Historia del Arte. En este mismo año se graduaron los alumnos Luz María Castillo, Aida Roques, Luis José Álvarez Delmonte, Rafael Pina Melero, Gilberto Fernández Diez y Luis Martínez Richiez, como profesores de dibujo.

18 images

Chopin

The Music Club of Ciudad Trujillo organized the Chopin Festival presented to commemorate the centenary of the death of the illustrious musician Frederic Chopin Francisco the day October 19, 1949.

El Club de Musica de Ciudad Trujillo organizo el Festival de Chopin presentado para commemorar el centenario de la muerte del Ilustre musico Federico Francisco Chopin el dia 19 de Octubre de 1949.

4 images

Jorge Noceda Sanchez

A citizen of the Dominican Republic born in 1931, he received his doctorate in medicine from the University of Santo Domingo in 1952. After graduation he moved to New York to specialize in gastroenterology at the University of New York, but quickly became a fan of painting. Initially taught, but talent developed rapidly. In 1956 he enrolled at the National Academy of Fine Arts in New York City, where he received instruction from American artists like Robert Philip and Rene Bouche. His technique, superb sense of color and whimsical style received critical praise in shows in New York, Havana and Santo Domingo, and later in Paris, Washington D.C. and Mexico City. In 1959, he decided to leave medicine and focus on his art. In 1959, embarked on a world tour that brought international recognition.

During this world tour he exhibited in Tokyo, Hong Kong, New Delhi, Tel Aviv, Athens, Rome and at the Royal Academy in London. In 1960, he won a gold medal at the Biennial of Sao Paulo, Brazil. In 1964 the Dominican Republic appointed him Cultural Attaché of the Dominican Embassy in Tokyo. In 1966, he became the first Dominican painter to exhibit in the American Fraternal Association. He later exhibited in galleries in Rome, the Federal Reserve in Washington D.C. and prominent galleries in New York, including the Bodley Gallery in 1975 which included Surrealists like Max Ernst, Yves Tanguy and René Magritte. He retired to Miami where he died in 1987.


Nacio en 1931 oriundo de la República Dominicana, recibió su doctorado en medicina de la Universidad de Santo Domingo en 1952. Después de graduarse se mudó a Nueva York para especializarse en gastroenterología en la Universidad de Nueva York, pero rápidamente se convirtió en fanático de la pintura. Inicialmente enseñaba, pero su talento se desarrolló rápidamente. En 1956 se inscribió en la Academia Nacional de Bellas Artes en la ciudad de Nueva York, donde recibió instrucción de artistas norteamericanos como Robert Philip y René Bouche.

Su técnica, sentido de magnífico color y estilo caprichoso recibieron elogios de la crítica en exposiciones en Nueva York, la Habana y Santo Domingo, y más tarde en París, Washington D.C. y la ciudad de México. En 1959, decidió dejar la medicina y centrarse en su arte. En 1959, se embarcó en una gira mundial que trajo el reconocimiento internacional. Durante esta gira expuso en Tokio, Hong Kong, Nueva Delhi, Tel Aviv, Atenas, Roma y en la Royal Academy de Londres.

En 1960, ganó una medalla de oro en la Bienal de Sao Paulo, Brasil. En el año 1964 la República Dominicana lo designó como Agregado Cultural de la Embajada Dominicana en Tokio. En 1966, se convirtió en el primer pintor dominicano en exhibir en la Asociación Fraternal Latinoamericana. Posteriormente exhibió en Galerías en Roma, en la Reserva Federal en Washington, D.C., y en prominentes galerías en Nueva York, incluyendo en 1975 la Bodley Gallery en el 1075, que incluía a los famosos artistas surrealistas como son Max Ernst, Yves Tanguy y Rene Magritte. Se retiró a Miami donde murió en 1987.

9 images

Luichy Martinez

Painter and sculptor. Born in San Pedro de Macoris in 1928. He studied at the National School of Fine Arts, where he then taught. In 1946 he won the prize of the Biennale of Santo Domingo. Held two exhibitions in 1950. He earned a scholarship to study in Paris in 1952. In the years 1953 to 1954 in Salon d'Automne, in 1957 in Des Nouvelles Realités, in 1958 in Compare products, Paris. In 1959 he won the First Prize of the 1st. Paris Biennale. In the 60s made several exhibitions in Europe, such as in the Paris Salon Mai, in Morton Gallery in London, d'Henndt in Amsterdam, and Le Petit Bronze in Paris. From 1963 to 1973, consecutively exhibited at the Salon de la Jeune Sculpture, Paris, France. In 1956 he won the fourth prize of the Paris Biennale and in 1969 placed his permanent works at the Museum of Modern Art in Paris. In 1966 he exhibited in Canada. At the end of that decade he returned home and worked in Fine Arts.

In the 70's in Scandinavia exhibited at the Salon des Realities Nouvelles Paris, won First Prize at the Biennale in Santo Domingo in 1972, at the Salon de Mars Paris Saint - Augustin in contemporary French sculpture Expo New Zealand, Australia, Mexico and Venezuela, organized by Denys Chevalier. In 1974 he won first prize at the Biennale in Santo Domingo and exhibited in the hall of the Young Sculpture, Latin American Artists in Paris and placed another of his works in a branch of the French state. During 1975, 1976, 1977 and 1978 presented ten times individually in Paris and attended the First European Sculpture Triennial in Paris, in the 38th. Congress C/DT Brest in the Great Hall of the Youth of Today in Paris, he returned to his country and made a solo exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in Santo Domingo. From 1981-1983 exhibited in his country again at the Museum of Modern Art, and at Altos de Chavon. The artist's sculptural work was based in spatial architecture plans, volumes and shapes.


Pintor y escultor. Nace en San Pedro de Macorís en 1928. Estudió en la Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes, en donde luego fue profesor. En 1946 ganó el Premio de la Bienal de Santo Domingo. Realizó dos exposiciones en 1950. Obtuvo una beca para estudiar en París en 1952. En los años siguientes 1953-54 en Salón D'Automne, en 1957 en Des Realités Nouvelles, en 1958 en Comparaison, París. En 1959 ganó el Primer Premio de la 1ra. Bienal de París. En la década del 60 realizó varias exposiciones en Europa, tales como, en el Salón Mai de París, en la Morton Gallery de Londres, d'Henndt, de Ámsterdam, y en Le Petit Bronze, de Paris. Desde 1963 hasta el 1973, consecutivamente, expuso en el Salón de la Joven Escultura de París, Francia. En 1956 obtuvo el cuarto premio de la Bienal de París, en 1969 colocó sus obras permanente en el Museo de Arte Moderno de París. En 1966 expuso en Canadá. Al final de esa década regresó a su país y expuso en Bellas Artes.

En la década del 70 expuso en Escandinavia, en el Salón Des Realities Nouvelles de París, obtuvo Primer Premio en la Bienal de Santo Domingo en 1972, en el Salón de Mars Saint-Agustin de París, en la Expo-escultura francesa contemporánea de Nueva Zelanda, Australia, México y Venezuela, organizada par Denys Chevalier. En 1974 obtuvo el primer premio en la Bienal de Santo Domingo y expuso en el salón de la Joven Escultura, Artistas Latinoamericanos en París y situó otra de sus obras en una dependencia del Estado francés. Durante 1975, 1976, 1977 Y 1978 expuso en diez ocasiones individualmente en París y concurrió a la Primera Trienal Europea de Escultura en Paris, en el 38vo. Congreso C/DT Brest en el Salón de los Grandes Jóvenes de Hoy en Paris, regresa a su país y expone individualmente en el Museo de Arte Moderno de Santo Domingo. De 1981 a 1983 expone en su país nuevamente, en el Museo de Arte Moderno, y en Altos de Chavón. La obra escultórica de este artista sustenta una arquitectura espacial de planos, volúmenes y formas. Gran parte de su obra entronca con las corrientes más innovadoras. Se nutre de lo mágico-fantástico africano y antillano. Las formas desafiantes en su fuerza contenida, forman parte de la imaginería y el tecnicismo con que el artista modela la materia, en su simbiosis de creación y ejecución perfecta.

12 images

Exposicion 1957

National School of Fine Arts. Before the founding of the Palace of Fine Arts on May 15, 1956, official cultural activities were held in the "Union Club" located on the Calle El Conde Esq. Hostos, as well as the "Office of Fine Arts" also located on Calle El Conde, between Calle Espaillat and Palo Hincado, less than one block from the Altar of the Fatherland.

It was here that the first biennials and major art events such as major exhibitions of leading European figures arrivals to our country after World War II took place. The National School of Fine Arts was inaugurated on August 19, 1942, when he was based in Street Arzobispo Nouel # 43, months later he was transferred to the Mercedes Street, next to the Plaza of the Church of Mercy. After several transfers (Las Damas, Palace of Fine Arts and the Palace of Borgella) is from 1989, Calle El Conde Esq. Isabel the Catholic.

Its directors are: its founder Manolo Pascual, José Vela Zanetti, José Gausachs, Yoryi Morel, Celeste Woss y Gil, Gilberto Hernandez Ortega, Joaquín Priego, Guillo Pérez, Joaquín Mordán Ciprian, Ana Luisa Garcia (Interim) Marianela Jimenez Reyes and Rosa Tavarez (current director). Drawing, painting, applied arts, sculpture, still life and taught robes. His first teachers were Celeste Woss y Gil, José Gausachs and George Hausdorf.

A policy implemented by the management of the school and its faculty, was to encourage the students to do work with the highest artistic quality to develop their creative abilities and provide society with the opportunity to appreciate the fruits of generation drinking at the inexhaustible source of knowledge and the most refined techniques of those who were their mentors and guides. That is why in the first exhibition of students promoted which opens on July 10, 1943, forty-eight authors with two thousand five hundred works made during the school year participated.

In 1944, the teaching staff is reinforced with the entry of Dr. Mairení Cabral, who impart the subject of Artistic Anatomy and Ing. Friendly Frómeta Professor of Perspective, shortly after being replaced by Ing. Pou Ricart. In 1945 Dr. Oak Toledano father was appointed Professor of Art History. In the same year pupils Luz Maria Castillo, Aida Roques, Jose Luis Alvarez Delmonte, Rafael Pina Melero, Gilberto Fernandez and Luis Martinez Diez Richiez as drawing teachers graduated.


Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes. Antes de la fundación del Palacio de Bellas Artes el 15 de mayo de 1956, las actividades culturales oficiales se celebraban en el “Club Unión” sito en la Calle El Conde Esq. Hostos, así como en las “Salas de Bellas Artes” situadas también en la Calle El Conde, entre la Calle Espaillat y la Palo Hincado, a menos de una cuadra del Altar de la Patria. Fue aquí en donde se celebraron las primeras bienales y grandes eventos artísticos, como las importantes exposiciones de destacadas figuras europeas llegadas a nuestro país a raíz de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

La Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes se inauguró el 19 de agosto de 1942, cuando tenía su sede en la Calle Arzobispo Nouel #43, meses después fue trasladada a la Calle Mercedes, al lado de la Plazoleta de la iglesia de las Mercedes. Luego de varios traslados (Las Damas, Palacio de Bellas Artes y el Palacio de Borgella) está desde 1989, en la Calle El Conde Esq. Isabel La Católica.

Sus directores han sido: su fundador Manolo Pascual, José Vela Zanetti, José Gausachs, Yoryi Morel, Celeste Woss y Gil, Gilberto Hernández Ortega, Joaquín Priego, Guillo Pérez, Joaquín Mordán Ciprian, Ana Luisa García (Interina) Marianela Jiménez Reyes y Rosa Tavárez (Actual directora). Se enseñaba dibujo, pintura, artes aplicadas, escultura, bodegones y ropajes. Sus primeros profesores fueron Celeste Woss y Gil, José Gausachs y George Hausdorf.

Una política implantada por la dirección de la escuela y su cuerpo docente, fue la de estimular al estudiantado a realizar trabajos con la más elevada calidad artística a fin de desarrollar su capacidad creadora y brindar a la sociedad la oportunidad de apreciar los frutos de la generación que bebía en la inagotable fuente del conocimiento y las más refinadas técnicas de quienes eran sus mentores y guías. Es por ello que en la primera exposición de alumnos promovidos que se inaugura el 10 de julio de 1943, participaron cuarenta y ocho autores con unas dos mil quinientas obras efectuadas durante el año escolar.

En 1944, el cuerpo profesoral es reforzado con el ingreso del Dr. Mairení Cabral, quien impartiría la materia de Anatomía Artística, y el Ing. Amable Frómeta como profesor de Perspectiva, siendo poco tiempo después sustituido por el Ing. Pou Ricart.

En 1945 el padre Dr. Roble Toledano fue nombrado profesor de Historia del Arte. En este mismo año se graduaron los alumnos Luz María Castillo, Aida Roques, Luis José Álvarez Delmonte, Rafael Pina Melero, Gilberto Fernández Diez y Luis Martínez Richiez, como profesores de dibujo.

4 images

Eligio Pichardo

Was a painter from the Dominican Republic. He worked in Santo Domingo and New York, creating expressionist and abstract expressionist works. He was born in Salcedo city in 1929 and was raised in San Francisco de Macorís. He enrolled in the National School of Fine Arts in Santo Domingo in 1945, studying under José Vela Zanetti and along side Clara Ledesma and Gilberto Hernández Ortega. His early work was greatly influenced by Dominican artists Vela Zanetti, Jaime Colson and Darío Suro.

In the early 1950s, Pichardo painted hundreds of murals in schools throughout Santo Domingo. Themes included the history of the Dominican Republic and Don Quixote. He participated in important biennial art exhibitions held throughout the world, including in Sao Paulo, Madrid and Paris. In 1951, he won a prize at the Madrid Biennial. Three years later he received a scholarship from the “Instituto de Cultura Hispánica” to study in Madrid. During his time in Europe, he was influenced by the work of Picasso and Jean Dubuffet.

After returning to Santo Domingo, he became a professor at the National School of Fine Arts. He had several solo exhibitions and participated in Biennial art shows. He won the Santo Domingo Biennial in 1958 with his painting “El Sacrificio del Chivo” (The Sacrifice of the Goat). In 1961, after signing with the “The Contemporaries” gallery in Manhattan, Pichardo moved to New York. He had his first solo exhibition in the city in 1962. Later, his work was exhibited in the Sarduy Gallery. The artist continued to live and work in New York until 1978, when he returned to Santo Domingo. Eligio Pichardo died in 1984.


Pintor de la República Dominicana. Trabajó en Santo Domingo y Nueva York, produciendo obras expresionistas y abstracta expresionistas. Nació en Salcedo en 1929 y se crió en San Francisco de Macorís. Se matriculó en la Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes en Santo Domingo en 1945, estudiando con José Vela Zanetti y junto a Clara Ledesma y Gilberto Hernández Ortega. Sus primeros trabajos fueron muy influenciados por artistas dominicanos como Vela Zanetti, Jaime Colson y Darío Suro.

A principios de la década de 1950, Pichardo pintó cientos de murales en las escuelas de todo Santo Domingo. Temas incluyen la historia de la República Dominicana y El Quijote. Ha participado en importantes exposiciones de arte bienales celebradas en todo el mundo, incluyendo en Sao Paulo, Madrid y París. En 1951 ganó un premio en la Bienal de Madrid. Tres años más tarde recibió una beca del "Instituto de Cultura Hispánica" para estudiar en Madrid. Durante su estancia en Europa, fue influenciado por la obra de Picasso y Jean Dubuffet.

Después de regresar a Santo Domingo, se convirtió en profesor en la Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes. Tenía varias exposiciones individuales y ha participado en exposiciones de arte Bienal. Ganó la Bienal de Santo Domingo en 1958 con su pintura "El Sacrificio del Chivo". En 1961, después de firmar con la galería "Los Contemporáneos" en Manhattan, Pichardo se trasladó a Nueva York. Tuvo su primera exposición individual en la ciudad en 1962. Más tarde, su obra fue expuesta en la Galería Sarduy. El artista continuó viviendo y trabajando en Nueva York hasta 1978, cuando regresó a Santo Domingo y murió en 1984.

8 images

Paul Giudicelli

Born in 1920 at the Ingenio Porvenir in San Pedro de Macorís, Dominican Republic to Corsican immigrants. He spent a few years of his early childhood in Europe, but returned to the Dominican Republic in the 1930, living in Santo Domingo. Although he showed a talent and enthusiasm for art in his youth, it was not until 1948 that he began formal training at the National School of Fine Arts. He graduated from the school in 1951.

Soon after graduating he participated in the Sao Paulo Biennial and in the National Biennial of Santo Domingo in 1952. He held his first solo exhibition in 1953 at the National Gallery of Fine Arts, showing 70 works. He also participated in group exhibitions in Barcelona (1956) and Switzerland (1957), as well as other National Biennials in the Dominican Republic. His second solo exhibition was held in 1957, and his third in 1959. The artist also began painting murals in 1959, receiving commissions for various public buildings.

In 1959 was offered a grant to study mural painting in France, but was denied a passport from the Trujillo dictator government. In 1960 he also lost the positions he had recently obtained as both professor and Vice Director of the National School of Fine Arts, but was reinstated in 1961 after the death of Trujillo. He continued his successful painting career until he died, aged 43–44, in Santo Domingo.


Nacio en 1920 en el Ingenio Porvenir en San Pedro de Macorís, República Dominicana de inmigrantes corsos. Pasó algunos años de su infancia en Europa, pero regresó a la República Dominicana en el 1930, residiendo en Santo Domingo. Mostró un talento y entusiasmo por el arte en su juventud, no fue hasta 1948 cuando empezó el entrenamiento formal en la Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes. Se graduó de la escuela en 1951.

Poco después de graduarse participó en la Bienal de Sao Paulo y en la Bienal Nacional de Santo Domingo en 1952. Realiza su primera exposición individual en 1953 en la Galería Nacional de Bellas Artes, que muestra 70 obras. También participó en exposiciones colectivas en Barcelona (1956) y Suiza (1957), así como otras Bienales Nacionales en la República Dominicana. Su segunda exposición individual tuvo lugar en 1957, y su tercera en 1959. El artista también comenzó a pintar murales en 1959, recibiendo encargos de varios edificios públicos.

En 1959 se le ofreció una beca para estudiar pintura mural en Francia, pero se le negó un pasaporte por parte del gobierno del dictador Trujillo. En 1960 también perdió las posiciones que había obtenido recientemente como profesor y Vice Director de la Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes, pero lo restablecieron en 1961 después de la muerte de Trujillo. Continuó su carrera como pintor hasta que murió, de 43-44 años de edad, en Santo Domingo.

8 images

Ivan Tovar

Born in 1942 in San Francisco de Macoris in the Dominican Republic, is a painter and printmaker linked to neo-surrealism. Before 1963, he presented several exhibitions in Santo Domingo. From 1963 to 1983, he lives and works in Paris. He began exhibiting at the Paris Biennale in 1963 being the first Dominican artist. He exhibited in Luxembourg, Stockholm, Lisbon and New York. His best known compositions expressed on large surfaces with colorful fanciful figures, both anthropomorphic and animal, almost biomechanical, which sometimes remind the world of Yves Tanguy or Richard Lindner. In 1968, he won the 2nd. prize in the Eduardo Leon Jimenez Contest for a drawing in Santo Domingo city. Critics have described his paintings as neo-surrealism, but his compositions display a highly personal symbolic world.


Nació en 1942 en San Francisco de Macorís en la República Dominicana, es un pintor y grabador ligado al neo-surrealismo. Antes de 1963, presentó varias exposiciones en Santo Domingo. De 1963 a 1983, vive y trabaja en París. Él comenzó a exhibir en la Bienal de París en 1963 siendo el primer artista dominicano. Expuso en Luxemburgo, Estocolmo, Lisboa y Nueva York. Sus composiciones más conocidas expresan en grandes superficies con coloridas figuras de fantasía, tanto antropomorfos y animales, casi biomecánicos, que en ocasiones recuerdan el mundo de Yves Tanguy o Richard Lindner. En 1968, ganó el segundo premio en el Concurso de Eduardo Jiménez León por un dibujo en la ciudad de Santo Domingo. Los críticos han descrito sus pinturas como neo-surrealismo, pero sus composiciones mostrar un mundo simbólico muy personal.

8 images

Marianela Jimenez

Dominican painter born in Valverde, Mao in 1925. It has been a teacher and watercolor artist. It is regarded as one of the pillars of the Dominican Academy. She completed her studies at the private academy of German professor George Hausdorf (1940-1942). Part of the first generation of graduates from the National School of Fine Arts, where she has taught since 1957, teaching painting, applied arts and a professor of still life and landscape. Was also Director since 1989 by more than two decades. Studies in the Engraving Club of Montevideo, Uruguay in 1977-1979. Engraving course, taught at the ENBA, by Professor engraving Leonilda Uruguay Gonzalez. Her first solo exhibition took place in 1952. She has won numerous awards, including the Medal of Honor from the National School of Fine Arts (1944), first place in their group graduation (1946) and the Second Prize for Painting at the Biennale Palace of Fine Arts (1950). Has participated in hundreds of exhibitions held in the Dominican Republic, Peru, Argentina, France, Spain, United States and Israel. In 1998 the Dominican State conferred the Order of Duarte, Sanchez and Mella in the rank of Knight. Her exhibitions show a colorful and extreme vivacity.


Pintora dominicana, nace en Valverde, Mao en el año 1925. Se ha destacado como maestra de la acuarela y es dibujante. Es considerada como uno de los pilares de la Academia Dominicana. Realizó sus primeros estudios en la academia particular del profesor alemán George Hausdorf (1940-1942). Forma parte de la primera generación de graduados de la Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes, en la que ha enseñado desde 1957, impartiendo clases de pintura, artes aplicadas y profesora de bodegón y paisaje, y de la cual también fue directora desde 1989 por más de dos décadas. Con estudios en el Club de Grabado de Montevideo, Uruguay en 1977-1979. Curso de grabado, impartido en la ENBA, por la profesora de grabado de Uruguay Leonilda González. Su primera exposición individual la realiza en 1952. Ha obtenido numerosos reconocimientos, entre ellos la Medalla de Honor de la Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes (1944), Primer lugar de su grupo de graduación (1946) y el Segundo Premio de Pintura en la Bienal Palacio de Bellas Artes (1950). Ha participado en centenares de exposiciones colectivas realizadas en la República Dominicana, Perú, Argentina, Francia, España, Estados Unidos e Israel. En 1998 el Estado Dominicano la condecoró con la Orden de Duarte, Sánchez y Mella en el grado de Caballero. Sus cuadros presentan un gran colorido y vivacidad extrema.

4 images